A nonexempt position responsible for scheduling appointments for patients following medical practice procedures and standard scheduling procedures based on policies. Other tasks are assigned including scheduling interpreters, scheduling referred patients, and fielding online appointment requests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answering and fielding multi-line telephones, directing calls or taking messages for providers or staff, and scheduling appointments for patients or family members.
- Schedules appointments for patients by phone, schedules these appointments following physician and clinic protocols and patient preferences in the Practice Management computer system.
- Obtain accurate and complete patient demographics and information, including insurance information.
- Maintains scheduling system so records are accurate and complete, and can be used to analyze patient/staffing patterns.
- Retrieve and process patient’s requests from our website.
- Retrieve and process any other incoming correspondence/requests from other facilities or referring physicians.
- Ensures that updates (e.g., cancellations or additions) are input daily into master schedule and clinics are notified per protocol.
- Communicate as needed with physicians and other staff about any patient concerns/issues related to scheduling. Consults with office manager about any system problems.
- Uses customer service principles and techniques to deal with patients calmly and pleasantly. Does the best to their ability to meet patient needs while following clinic protocols.
- Meet team and personal benchmarks and goals set by management in regards to calls and call statistics.
- Perform other various duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- High school diploma.
- Minimum one year of experience in an appointment scheduling position, preferably in a medical practice setting. Knowledge of insurance information and experience with an Electronic Health Record (EHR) is preferred. Experience in an ophthalmology practice is a plus.
Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations Required:
- Knowledge of medical practice protocols related to scheduling appointments.
- Knowledge of computerized scheduling systems.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and techniques.
- Skill in communicating effectively with physicians about scheduling preferences.
- Skill in maintaining master appointment schedule via manual or computerized means.
- Skill in producing reports about appointment patterns as needed.
- Ability to communicate calmly and clearly with patients about appointments in all circumstances including when they are urgent or emergent.
- Ability to analyze situations and respond appropriately.
Equipment Operated: Standard office equipment with emphasis on computer hardware and software as well as telephone, scanners, printers.
Work Environment: Position is in a well-lighted office environment.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Mostly sedentary with some standing, walking, reaching. Periodic stress from handling many calls and patient requests.
- The appointment center is located in our Headquarter Woodbury location, 2080 Woodwinds Drive, Suite 110, Woodbury, MN 55125. Hours are Monday through Friday, 730am-430pm. Shifts do vary. Travel is limited.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
St. Paul Eye Clinic is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and complies with all applicable laws relating to discrimination against qualified applicants or employees in hiring or in any decision affecting job status, pay, or any other terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, age, or other applicable protected classes.