How To Prepare For Your Telehealth Appointment
- Download and print the HOTV test documents
- Watch the video guide below to learn how to perform the test
- Have the patient take the HOTV test
- Record the test results
HOTV Test Guide
- The HOTV test is used for young children that can't identify letters.
- To set up the test, click the link below to download the eye chart and the matching guide for the child
- Print the eye chart and matching guide on standard 8.5" x 11" inch paper
- Make sure your printer is set up to print the actual size and not "fit to page"
- Once printed, fold the test into a cube and secure with a paper clip or piece of tape
- Have the child practice matching the images on the test with their guide at a close distance until they understand the “game".
- Once the child understands how to play, place a chair at the end of a room for them to sit in.
- Measure 10 feet from the back of the chair using a tape measure.
- Cover the child's left eye with an eye patch or the palm of their hand.
- If the child wears glasses, have them put the glasses on.
- Standing 10 feet away, randomly spin the chart and point to the first letter under the black line.
- If they can identify the letter, move to the next smallest letter. If they cannot read the letter, go up a line. The goal is to identify what line your child can read at least 75% of that size.
- After that line is determined, record the number on the results page, which can be downloaded and printed in the link below.
- Once completed, cover the right eye and repeat the test.